Learning and Cultural Enhancement Section

Studying at CUHK

1. Academic Matters

During your journey here in CUHK, you will be frequently contact with the Registration and Examinations Section (for undergraduate students) and Graduate School Office (for postgraduate students) from which you get the following information/ support:

  • University almanac
  • Course registration and examination*
  • Teaching and examination timetables
  • Applications for transcripts, certifying letters, graduation certificates

* As a new comer, you should note the arrangement of classes and examinations on approach of bad weather. Information of typhoons and rainstorms can be checked at Hong Kong Observatory website or its mobile phone app.

MyCUHK is a personal portal to a wide range of services and websites in CUHK. It is also the primary entrance to CUSIS (The Chinese University Student Information System) services. Students can login CUSIS to make online applications, perform student registration and course enrolment, update records, review grades, etc. Make sure that you know the CUSIS functions for a smooth study at CUHK!

Email Account
@Link is a cloud service for students after a successful registration of CUHK Office 365. It provides lifetime e-mail service. Students can define alias of @Link and enjoy an e-mail box quota up to 50GB.

Student Handbook
Students shall observe all rules and regulations prescribed by the University. You are strongly advised to pay attention to all details of Student Handbook which is essential to all matters relating to your study here in CUHK:

Academic Honesty
The University places very high importance on honesty in academic work, and adopts a policy of zero tolerance on cheating in examinations and plagiarism. Any related offence will lead to disciplinary action including termination of studies at the University.

Academic Advisory System
Under the Academic Advisory System, every student (both undergraduate and postgraduate) will be assigned an academic advisor (Level I Advisor) by the Major Department. The Advisor is a resource person who can give you advice on academic matters. You may access the information of your Level I Advisor through CUSIS or contact your major faculty/ department/ programme. Departments will also be requested to nominate designated academic advisors (Level II Advisor) for students who need further support.


2. Academic Support

The Chinese University of Hong Kong Library (ULS) is probably one of the university’s resources that you would use the most frequently and extensively in your learning and research. Comprised seven library branches, the ULS provides significant bilingual collection including electronic and print journals, e-books, print volumes and special collections. The Library offers various types of study spaces for different study needs: quiet study zones, group study rooms, doctoral study rooms, faculty study rooms, multi-purpose rooms and 24-Hour study facilities.

IT and Network
Computers in User Areas (including service desk, discussion room and training room) on 1/F of Pi Chiu Building are open to all University staff and students. The Learning Commons, located on 6/F, Wu Ho Man Yuen Building, is jointly managed by ULS and Information Technology Services Centre (ITSC). It provides you with a range of computing facilities, functional spaces and professional IT and library consultation services for facilitating your individual studies and group works. ITSC’s Service Desk helps you get quick solution to your IT problems such as setting up of Virtual Private Network (VPN) and Wi-Fi.

Language Learning
The Independent Learning Centre (ILC) provides a resource rich environment for students to engage themselves as independent learners. With specialised workshops, individual and small group consultations and online resources, the ILC helps learners to improve both their English and Chinese. If you are interested in learning or improving your English, Putonghua or Cantonese, ILC’s Language Exchange Program helps you practise in real life situation and make friends for both cultural and language exchange.

Besides, the Yale-China Chinese Language Centre (CLC) provides language training in Cantonese and Putonghua to CUHK students. According to their learning purpose and language background, language proficiency courses are sub-divided into: (1) Cantonese for Putonghua speaking students; (2) Cantonese for international students; (3) Putonghua for local students; and (4) Putonghua for international students.

Postgraduate Learning and Teaching
For postgraduate students, you may find it useful to join the Improving Postgraduate Learning (IPL) programme and the Professional Development Course for Teaching Assistants (PDC-TA) which are specially designed for postgraduates by the Centre for Learning Enhancement and Research (CLEAR).


3. Learning Enhancement Services

LEOs for You
As a non-local undergraduate, you will be assigned to one Learning Enhancement Officer (LEO) according to your faculty. They are here to assist in your adjustment to the new learning and living environments. When you first arrive at CUHK, you will probably meet your LEO for the first time during the orientation programme or soon right after the commencement of the semester. Individual consultations are also available afterwards until your graduation.

Consultation for Postgraduates
The LEOs also run a regular drop-in consultation service during term time for full-time postgraduate students to meet with the LEO on a one-to-one basis to discuss anything about study and answer questions. For details, please click here.